Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Difficult Goodbye

Today, Makayla's Vision and Physical therapist came for the last time.  There will be new therapists when we get to the new house in Southern California, but I find it hard to believe that we will find a pair as amazing as these two warm, kind, loving, generous and smart women.

I managed to keep the tears at bay during the visit, but they are flooding in now. 

I have gone on an on about these wonderful ladies in the past and their impact on our lives, but now that we have had our last visit, I can't stop thinking about all the progress that they have helped Makayla to make in the last year and a half.  When they started visiting out home, Makayla was just four months old, and she could still hardly hold her head up and she was keeping her arms up in the air to balance herself.  It was only a few weeks after we had been visited by the Blind Babies group, and had just learned that Makayla even could see at all.

Within a few short months, Makayla was holding her head up and not using her arms anymore.  She had started "army crawling" and we were learning all kinds of things about the way that Makayla sees.  With each visit she made huge strides and we were coming to learn that she actually sees quite well.

But, they have been so much more than therapists and teachers.  They have been friends, a support team and an extra set of moms.  They helped Makayla to take her very first steps and we all cried together as we scrambled for the video camera.  They have talked me through some of my hardest weeks and stages as a new twin mom.  They taught me to sing songs other than the ABC's, and their hand motions.

They have given me amazing tools, and taught me wonderful lessons.  They made me feel normal when I was at the end of my rope.  They laughed with me, they have cried with me.  They taught me the questions to ask, and guided me down all the right roads.

I am so grateful for everything, and will miss them so much.  Although it won't be the same to not see them on a regular basis anymore, I hope that we can stay in touch and they and are forever a part of our lives.


Little thank you gifts for our Vision and Physical Therapists


No comments:

Post a Comment