Thursday, August 9, 2012

1 Week Post Op

One week post eye muscle surgery

Today is one week since Makayla's eye muscle surgery to improve her nystagmus and correct her stabismus (lazy eye).

I am really impressed with the amount of healing she has done in just one week.  After surgery, the doctor told us that it could take 6 to 8 weeks for the blood in her eyes to clear up and to really see the results of the surgery, but the blood in the whites of her eyes is significantly reduced now, and just yesterday, I started to really see the difference in the movement of her eyes.


At this point Makayla seems to be in no pain.  I would actually say, she seemed to no longer be in pain by day three or four, but we have continued to give her tylenol every four hours to be sure.  however, yesterday afternoon, we gave her, her last dose of tylenol, and she hasn't had any since.  She slept all the way through the night and woke up a happy little girl. 

We have noticed that she is exceptionally tired though.  This girl normally never sleeps, but since the surgery, she could probably stand to return to two daily naps and still get a full night's sleep.

The comments and stares I wrote about last time, continue to bother me, but it just makes me grateful that we did the surgery now, before she's aware of what other people think of her. 

On a much happier note though, while I was shopping with my sister-in-law yesterday, we stopped into a store that I have visited with the kids a handful of times, and one of the ladies that worked there asked of Makayla's eyes were okay, since she noticed the bloody corners of her eyes, and my sister-in-law explained that she recently had surgery on her eyes.  Immediately the lady remember her as the girl who's eyes moved a lot back and forth, and pointed out a noticeable difference in the movement.  My sister-in-law actually had to point out to her that Makayla's eyes still to move, but thanks to the surgery, they will hopefully move a lot less from now on.  That felt pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment