Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ready As We'll Ever Be

Here we are.  Little ol' Akron, Ohio. 

I hope getting here was the hard part. 

Over the last week, Makayla came down with a 102 fever.  I was so scared that we would have to cancel the surgery, but just 24 hours before leaving for Akron, she broke her fever, and we were back on!

I knew traveling with a toddler on my own would be a challenge.  I certainly know what an amazing help my husband is. and not having him here would be rough.  Our first flight from San Francisco to Philadelphia, was better than I expected.  Although we didn't arrive without tears, Makayla was mostly happy and cooperative throughout the flight.  I was lucky enough to be seating next to two model-skinny German ladies, which left me plenty of room to contort and stretch with Makayla in my lap. Our most embarrassing moments included when she threw a handful of pretzels at the man sitting behind us.

And then we got off our plane.

Once, I was off the plane, I realized that either my plane got in late, or it took the passengers more than a half hour to deboard...and I needed to sprint to our next flight, from Terminal C to Terminal F...which requires taking a an actual bus to get there.  People paid no attention to the woman with a baby and a stroller, plowing over us and pushing us right out of their way.  Once we were off the buss, I sprinted, with a backpack, a purse, a laptop, and toddler and a stroller from Gate 7 to Gate 37.  Everyone one who knows me, knows what a joke that is.  I hate running, and I'm definitely not fast!

Dripping sweat, like Dave Matthews in concert, I rushed to my gate, only to find out that there was a delay!  Ok, actually that was great news.  It was only a short delay, and that meant I have enough time to get Makayla a diaper change, clean myself up, and find some apple juice.  No time for lunch though...and we didn't get breakfast either...

As soon as I get back to the gate, we start boarding.  I'm happy to find that the person I'm sitting next to on this very teeny tiny plane, is quite possible, the nicest man I've ever met.  He is showing me pictures of his two daughters and playing peek-a-boo with Makayla.  Things are going great.  Just after take off, my new friend heads to the bathroom, and by the time her gets back, Makayla is in full meltdown mode.  It must have been her ears.  She didn't have a problem on her five previous flights, but that, combined with way to many hours of confinement, and hunger was the perfect recipe for disaster.  She kicked and screamed all the way until the pilot announced that we would be starting our final decent, at with point she finally passed out from exhaustion.  I was that mom.  I cried. 

As the passengers exited the plane, I apologized, and every single passenger told me how beautiful Makayla was and that she did great.  When I apologized they told me to stop and that they didn't mind a bit.  The ones that were near by and heard me telling my seat neighbor the reason for our trip to Ohio, all told me how they wished the very best for his surgery and offered prayers.  I burst into big sobby tears right there on the plane.

Ohio-ians are possibly some of the nicest people in the country.

Finally 13 hours into our adventure, we arrived at the Ronald McDonald House of Akron.  Before I could even get all the way in the door, another mom here to see Dr. Hertle offered to help me to my room with my things (Another example of why Ohio-ians are the nicest people on the planet!).  We talked for a bit, and I learned that her son recently had the same surgery Makayla will be having and I told her how excited I was to meet another mom who has been through what our family has been through.  Looking at her son's blue eyes, it was the first time I have ever seen someone else with Nystagmus.

My goal is to keep this blog updated over the next 10 days that we spend in Akron, so you can see how surgery went, and how she is handling recovery.  Tomorrow, i want to get a video posted of Makayla's nystagmus, as it is now, prior to surgery.

It's a little after eleven here now, but only 8:20 p.m. at home.  I just got the little girl down to sleep, and I think I will be happy to join her.

Surgery is Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I cried with you just reading this! I am so nervous about flying there with as toddler too. Bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete